MHG59896 - Military Camp (WWII) - Coast Battery, North Sutor
Military camp associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
The First World War military camp site (MHG59148) was completely demolished and a larger camp site of 25 buildings was constructed to a different arrangement for the Second World War. Accommodation for men was in five buildings on the N side of the track parallel to the boundary fence and a Royal Corp of Signals building at the E end. On the S side of the road on the W end was the officer’s mess. Moving towards the E, the next building was the V.A.D. hut (probably a hospital/medical building). Standing to the E was the engine house (see NH86NW 9.13), then beside that were three huts one behind the other, which were the NAAFI staff hut, the Isolation hut and the M.I. hut. The next building beside the track was the NAAFI with the Sergeants mess behind it. The cookhouse (and possible dining hall) was the biggest building. Behind that was the bath house and a store room. The battery offices also fronted the road with the reserve hut for the gun crews situated behind it. The last building on the S side of the track was a lecture hut. A guard hut stood on the E side of the entrance gateway with the RA store to the S (see NH86NW 9.12). All these building are visible on a RAF air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6039, flown 31 August 1945).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 30 July 2013. <1>
NH 81961 68994 - R.C signals hut
NH 81881 68975 - Accomodation buildings (5 blocks)
NH 81785 68928 - Officer's mess
NH 81815 68941 - V.A.D hut (medical service)
NH 81829 68927 - Structure of unknown function
NH 81870 68961 - NAAFI staff hut
NH 81874 68952 - Isolation hut
NH 81877 68941 - M. I. hut
NH 81891 68963 - NAAFI
NH 81896 68943 - Sergeant's mess
NH 81920 68965 - Cook house and dining room
NH 81915 68947 - Bath house
NH 81926 68951 - Storehouse
NH281945 68965 - Reserve hut
NH 81947 68976 - Offices
NH 81963 68982 - Lecture room
NH 81978 68998 - Guard room
NH 81992 69002 - Structure of unknown function
NH 81940 68952 - Possible store for coal
GIS Spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also
MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG38497, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331900.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 555- 559, 620-43. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8188 6896 (229m by 88m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331900/north-sutor-coast-battery (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.