MHG60839 - Shop - Munlochy


A shop in Munlochy. Run as A Taylor and Sons from c.1878-2012.

Type and Period (1)

  • SHOP (19th Century to 21st Century - 1878 AD? to 2100 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A shop in Munlochy. Run as A Taylor and Sons from c.1878-2012.

The site was researched during the ARCH Knockbain Heritage project in 2014. Alasdair Cameron came for holidays to Munlochy where his uncle (Mr Taylor) ran the shop. It sold agricultural goods, ironmongery, sweets, clothing etc. The other end of the building was Riddoch the grocers, who occupied the premises in the 1930s to 1960s. The Taylors had a shop in other parts of village before moving to the site of the present shop. Both Taylors and Riddochs had vans for delivery, kept in the corrugated iron building behind the shops. Allan Taylor has written a summary of the shop in the village, a family business for 170 years. The Highland Archives also have a large numbers of papers relating to the business and Munlochy, deposited by the Taylor family. In a postcard from the mid-C20 of Main Street taken from the bridge the shop is shown on the right. <1>

GIS spatial data created in 2019 according to the locational information in <1>.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 6467 5319 (20m by 19m)
Map sheet NH65SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.