MHG60886 - Former post office - Munlochy
The former Munlochy post office.
Type and Period (1)
- POST OFFICE (Constructed, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1875 AD to 1960 AD (pre))
- None recorded
The former Munlochy post office (and later also the local chemist shop), shown here from the OS 1st Edition map onwards. <1>
The building was researched during the ARCH Knockbain Heritage project. The post office was on the north side of the main street, run by Mrs McNaughton within living memory. In the 1911 census it housed the chemist (Archibald McDonald) and postmaster (Angus Cameron). The post office moved across the street in the 1950s. <2>
GIS spatial data created in 2019 based on building as depicted on modern OS mapping. <3>
- <1> SHG23422 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> SHG28283 Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2014. Knockbain Heritage. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 3.
- <3> SHG28058 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. OSMA WMS - Europa.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6475 5330 (19m by 15m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.