MHG61012 - Buildings - Rubha Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISH TRAP? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLIPWAY? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Two rectangular unroofed buildings are depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition OS Maps. A boundary line is also mapped, running from the corner of one of the buildings and out into beyond the shoreline. It may be a fish trap, but it also runs parallel to the Allt Loch a' Choire, and so may be a revetment or flood defence of some sort. <1> <2>
The two building are visible on aerial photography. One is aligned N-S, measuring 8m by 5m. The other it to the south, at a rightangle to the first, aligned E-W. It measures 10m by 5m. The south wall of the second building forms part of the wall extending out into the bay, as depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition OS Maps, although it is only very faintly visible. It is very clearly visible running southwards from the south eastern corner of the second building. While this wall is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition OS Maps, where it runs for a considerably length and joins into the network of a larger field system, there is a gap between the building and where the wall starts, whereas it very clearly runs continously from the building southwards on aerial photography. There is a gap further south on aerial photography, but its is possible that this section of walling has been washed away as is runs parallel to the coastline and Allt Loch a' Choire. <3> <4>
The area was photographed during aerial surveys by HES in 2015. Recorded from this were buildings, a slipways and a fish trap. See link below to HES Canmore records for photos. <5>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
- <5> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 349846.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8850 9720 (88m by 125m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.