MHG61195 - Barn (bull shed)- South Erradale, Gairloch
Ruined barn (bull shed built on earlier footings at South Erradale, Gairloch
Type and Period (2)
- BARN (19th Century - 1890 AD to 1890 AD (circa))
- COW HOUSE (19th Century - 1890 AD? to 1890 AD? (circa))
- None recorded
A field-system and a crofting township comprising thirty-seven roofed, four partially roofed, five unroofed buildings, and ten enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lvi). The field-system lies at the SE end of the township. Seventeen roofed, one partially roofed, four unroofed buildings, and the field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 April 1996
See MHG21432 for main township record.
A survey of South Erradale was undertaken by Macinnes, A. in 2013.
Site 15. Ruin of barn ('bull shed') built on earlier footings on platform known as the ‘bull pen’. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The ruins and features of South Erradale. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.7 Site 15.
- <2> Text/Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. Childhood in South Erradale and more. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.4-6.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7486 7132 (10m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104956 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.