MHG61511 - Ditch and earthbank - Achargary
Ditch and earthbank at Achargary
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- DITCH (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
('A': NC 7198 5490 and 'B': NC 7203 5486) Cairns (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
Two heavily robbed cairns, of which only stony rims remain. 'A' is 11m in diameter and 'B' 15m.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.
Cairns 'A' and 'B' are on the old river terrace at the west side of the River Naver.
'A' is completely turf-covered. It is visible as a platform measuring 12.5m NE-SW by 11.5m with a peripheral, ragged ridge of rubble 0.2m high and 1.5m spread.
'B' is a stony mound adopting a level stance and measuring approximately 15.5m diameter; the body content is low and much disturbed. Intruding in the west sector is a circular depression.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 25 June 1977. (See MHG10949 for Cairn A).
On 4th November 2001, Marlyn Price and Meryl Marshall of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS), conducted a survey of the archaeological features of the Achcheargary 'Cairns', Strathnaver. Some of the stonework from the sites may have been robbed in order to construct a substantial wall enclosing a field on the lower valley floor nearby.
Site 3.2. Ditch and earthbank. Almost certainly associated with feature 3.1. (See MHG61509 Cairn). The ditch measures 20m in length and 1.5m deep, it forms an arc to the southwest of feature 3.1 and finishes abruptly at its south end. The outer earthbank is roughly 35m in length and may have been formed of the upcast material from the ditch. There is a small knoll with a depression at its centre at the northern end of the earthbank. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
- --- SHG2657 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 84, No. 244.
- <1> SHG21661 Text/Report: Marshall M, Price M. Field Survey of Achcheargary Cairns, Strathnaver. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). . .
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7201 5486 (29m by 24m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6308 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.