MHG638 - Stone Circle, Forse
Remains of later Neolithic-early Bronze Age stone circle.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
The remains of a stone circle as described by the RCAHMS, and Thom, Thom and Burl.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 22 March 1983.
A badly damaged, large stone circle, comparable with Latheronwheel Burn (ND13NE 3) and Aulton Broubster (ND 05NW 2), having a diameter of about 48m. Only half of the circle is visible.
A Thom , A S Thom and A Burl 1980.
(ND 2077 3630) Stones (NAT) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
These standing stones, now leaning, as described by RCAHMS. Their lack of weathering and their position in rough marshy ground below a rocky scarp suggest that they are not antiquities, although their true purpose cannot be ascertained.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 May 1967.
Standing Stones (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
Three standing stones, and base of a fourth, measuring from 3ft 6ins to 4ft 9ins high, 2ft 7ins to 3ft in width and with an average thickness of 1ft 1in. They are rectangular slabs placed at irregular intervals of 18ft 9ins, 25ft, and 53ft from each other and seemingly disturbed from their original positions. It is doubtful if they formed part of a circle.
An archaeological desk-based assessment and walk-over survey were carried out by C Dagg of the area of proposed forestry at Lower Rumster, Forse, Caithness in 2001. As a greater part of the proposed planting area was deep peat and bog it was proposed that planting would only cover areas without too deep a cover of peat or bog and the archaeological survey concentrated on those areas. Only two definitely standing stones were located during the survey although the possible base of a third was also seen. Measurements of the stones were taken. <7>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 81, No. 294.
- --- Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: Thom, Thom and Burl, A, A S and [H] A [W]. 1980. Megalithic rings: plans and data for 229 monuments in Britain. 81. 322-3; plan.
- <7> Text/Report: Dagg C. 2001. Walkover Survey at Lower Rumster, Forse. . . p.3.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2077 3630 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8609 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.