MHG682 - Chambered Cairn, Hempriggs House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Pict's House (NR) (Remains of) OS 25" map, Caithness, (1872)
Chambered Cairn (supposed), Hempriggs: Evidenced by a low grassy mound, stony beneath the turf, which has a diameter of some 50ft and elevation of 3-4ft. Near the centre two large slabs at right angles to each other suggest this may be remains of a chambered cairn, but the true character of mound is not obvious.
A low, turf-covered, stony mound which has been greatly robbed, and, as described by RCAHMS, could be the remains of a chambered cairn.
A S Henshall 1962.
Traces of stone are visible round side of this possible chambered cairn.
C E Batey 1981.
(ND 3617 4680) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
As described by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (JB) 1 September 1982.
The cairn is at the edge of agricultural land in a field which has recently been improved from unenclosed rough grazing. The cairn is about 200m from the sea cliffs, at 46m OD. It is turf-covered, and measures c17m diameter. The perimeter rises undisturbed to a maximum height of 1m, but the interior has been greatly reduced and disturbed. In the centre are two slabs set on edge, 0.9m apart, and almost at right angles to each other. The larger S slab is 1m long, 0.2m thick, and leans slightly to the W; it projects 0.5m but its true height is about 1.5m. The smaller slab is 0.7m long, 0.2m thick, its top flush with the turf. Possibly these slabs were part of a chamber. Visited 21 September 1985.
J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). 10, 79.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1981. Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. . WIC 184.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 116, no. CAT 27; plan p. 116.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 170, No. 540.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 273, CAT27.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3617 4680 (48m by 47m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM455 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8951 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.