MHG695 - St. Modan's Chapel, Freswick
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Remains of Mausoleum (NAT) on site of (NAT) Chapel (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
c1670 Sir William Sinclair erected on site of a chapel a mausoleum which has been in decay since 19th century. A vault beneath this is said to have been associated with old chapel, and human bones have been found in area of what was presumably churchyard.
The saint to whom chapel was dedicated is not known (Watson 1926) but, as Beaton gives alternative names Moden, Maddon or Medon, and says that chapel was scene of 'superstitous rites' on Candlemas Day (2nd February), it seems possible that saint in question might be Modan whose day was February 4th.
D Beaton 1909; W J Watson 1926; J Mowat 1931; Name Book 1872.
The mausoleum, now unroofed, and oriented E-W measures 7.4 by 4.7m internally with walls 0.9m thick. Entrance is in E wall; there are two circular windows in S, and in W wall there is what looks like a fireplace. The vault below is still intact though inaccessible (info from Mr Gulloch, Freswick Mains, Canisbay). The area around mausoleum, ploughed since 1929, revealed no trace of a graveyard. No further info could be obtained about former chapel or its dedication.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 10 September 1965.
The mausoleum is as described and illustrated by previous field investigator. The dedication of former chapel to Modan was known at nearby Freswick House.
Visited by OS (J B) 21 July 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mowat, J. 1931. Place-names of Canisbay, Caithness. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 289.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 163.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3773 6712 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9303 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.