MHG7084 - Possible Broch and Steatite Cup - Killilan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
A circular structure of uncemented stones (probably a broch), near Killilan (NG 94 30), produced on excavation, a steatite cup 5 1/2" diameter with a handle. It was donated in 1882 to the NMAS. - AQ 14 - as part of the collection of Adam Sim of Culter Mains, by Mrs White of Netherurd House, Dolphinton.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1882; NMAS 1892.
Enquiries at Killilan and Faddoch failed to locate this site.
Visited by OS (R L) 13 October 1966.
NG93 1 KILLILAN
Possible broch in Kintail, Ross and Cromarty, which has not been located in modern times . It was a circular building of drystone masonry which yielded a handled steatite cup 14.0cm (5.5 in) in diameter which was acquired by the National Museum in 1882 (No. AG 14).
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NG 93 SW 2: 2. Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 16 (1881-82), 145 and 148 (donation). 3. National Museum of Antiquities (NMAS) 1892, 59. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 59.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AQ 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1882. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-56,176-80,236-41,401-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-5. 145, 148.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NG93 1 KILLILAN.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9400 3000 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- CUP (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12027 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.