MHG7241 - Cawdor Castle, glass beads
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Centred 847 498.
Six glass beads found in clearing out a ditch before February 1864, were donated to NMAS by Wm Stables, Cawdor Castle, in April 1864. (FJ 1-4, 17-18).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1865; 1885; J M Joass 1865.
Guido identifies the beads as Class 13 (North Scottish spiral-decorated beads) and Class 14 (North Scottish decorated annular beads). <1>
The NMS catalogue lists four glass beads of green paste, enamelled on the surface with yellow spirals (Acc. Nos. FJ 1- FJ 4) and two annular bead of blue and yellow glass (FJ 17- FJ 18). <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Joass, J M. 1865. 'Notice of a cist and its contents in the parish of Eddertoun, Ross-shire, recently opened', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 5 1862-4, p.311-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 311-5. 313.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1885. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 19 1884-5, p.8-14,51-4,75-82,132-9,161-5,247-52,326-36. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-14,51-4,75-82,132-9,161. 133.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1865. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 5 1862-4, p.9-18,30-3,61-5,81-4,109-16,122-9,185-9,213-22,239-42,284-9,300-3,322-331. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-18,30-3,61-5,81-4,109-1. 300.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Guido, M. 1978. The glass beads of the prehistoric and Roman periods in Britain and Ireland. 196, 200.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. FJ 1-4, 17-18.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8470 4980 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BEAD (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-190-004-068-C& (Link to NMS online collections database FJ 17-18)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15025 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.