MHG737 - Standing Stone, Clach Clais an Tuirc
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Clach Clais an Tuirc (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Clach Clais an Tuirc is a quadrangular stone 6ft 2ins high above ground, 2ft 11ins to 3ft 6ins broad, and 2ft thick. It faces E-W.
As described above; this standing stone bears no markings other than one doubtful cup mark near the base of the SE side.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 17 November 1964.
Clach Clais an Tuirc, a standing stone as described. No significant marks were noted.
Visited by OS (J M) 5 August 1981.
This standing stone (NMRS, MS 738/25, no.10) was recorded, during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland) Ltd.
A Smith and D Rankin, AOC (Scotland) Ltd, November 1995; NMRS MS 738/25
NC 993 634 (centre) A pre-afforestation survey was carried out on behalf of Historic Scotland by AOC (Scotland) Ltd in November 1995, covering slightly less than 1sq km of land at Achrasker, 3km SE of Reay. Nine sites had already been recorded in the area by the RCAHMS. The survey found that some of the known sites were more extensive than previously recorded, and in addition discovered several new sites, including:
NC 99165 63170 Standing stone (NC 96 SE 20).
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
AOC (Scotland) Ltd 1996
- --- Text/Publication/Article: AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 1996. 'Achrasker (Reay parish) , survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.73. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 73. 73-74.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 108, No. 403.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Smith, A and Rankin, D. 1995. Report on pre-afforestation survey at Achrasker, Reay, Caithness. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. . Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9915 6316 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:441 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM441 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7340 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.