MHG7377 - Ardgay Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Built, 19th Century - 1865 AD to 1865 AD (circa))
Buildings similar to Fearn Station (NH87NW 6). <1>
See also <2>
The building was listed at Category C in 1988.
This intermediate station on the former Highland Rly. Was opened (as Bonar Bridge Station) by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly. On 1 October 1864. It was renamed Ardgay Station on 2 May 1977, and remains in regular passenger use. <3>
Station building has been converted to private house. Station masters house to N also converrted to private. Small railway building to S of station building derelict but roofed. Footbridge. Station in use - HAW 6/2004
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites were visited and photographed by participants. The former station was visited and photographed during this project. <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 287.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Tatlow, P. 1985. Highland railway miscellany: a pictorial record of the company's activities in the public eye and behind the scenes. pl. 107.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 17, 39.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 18.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6002 9042 (19m by 26m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7164 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14055 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.