MHG7456 - Killilan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NG93SW 1 9466 3011.
(NG 9466 3011) Grave Yard (NR)
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
The site of 8th c. St. Fillians Church, burial-ground (still in use in 1904), well, and tree at Kilillan where the saint is said to be buried. T Wallace 1898; W J Watson 1904 and 1926; D MacPherson 1958.
There are no visible remains of a church in the burial ground, which is still in use. According to local information (J Macrae, Faddoch) the well and tree were located at NG 9475 3497, but there is now no trace of them.
Visited by OS (R L) 13 October 1966.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacPherson, D. 1958. Pocket Guide Book to Skye, Lochalsh etc.. 71.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 181.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 338.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T D. 1898. 'Dornie and its antiquities', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95, p.108-16. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 108-16. 110.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9466 3011 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12026 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.