MHG7493 - St. John's Chapel - Allangrange


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

St. John's Chapel (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)

Of St. John's Chapel, which is alleged to have belonged to the Knights Templar, only east gable, with a triple lancet window, and portions of side walls remain.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931. <1>

The extant ruins of St. John's Chapel consist of N wall 2.6m high, E wall, with the triple lancet window, at gable height, and S wall, 3.3m high, containing 2 small windows. W wall has been removed and replaced with an iron railing with a gate in its centre giving access to central area of chapel, which is used as a burial ground. Gravestones have been built into the inside face of both N and S walls, and there are also several in the central area. The remaining walls are all 1m wide, and the area enclosed by these measures 10m E-W by 6.2m transversely.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 17 March 1966.

The chapel and burial ground were listed at category B in 1971.

The chapel and burial ground were scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1992.

Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Roofless, redundant church set within hexagonal boundary walls near Old Allangrange House. The church has subsequently been used as a burial enclosure for the Fraser-Mackenzies of Allangrange. The boundary walls enclose the site quite tightly and the ground between the church and walls is quite high compared to the surrounding land, although there are no obvious grave markers in this area. <2> <3>

Photographs of the chapel were taken by a participant in the Black Isle Heritage Memories Project. <4>

It was proposed that the chapel and burial ground be removed from the statutory list in September 2016 as part of a Historic Environment Scotland project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though they would remain a scheduled monument. <5>

The chapel and burial ground were removed from the statutory list by Historic Environment Scotland on 22/09/2016. <6>

Sources/Archives (8)



Grid reference Centred NH 6252 5150 (14m by 11m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH65SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.