MHG40732 - Cemetery - St. John's Chapel, Allangrange

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • BURIAL ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

St. John's Chapel (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)

Of St. John's Chapel, which is alleged to have belonged to the Knights Templar, only east gable, with a triple lancet window, and portions of side walls remain. <1>

The extant ruins of St. John's Chapel consist of N wall 2.6m high, E wall, with the triple lancet window, at gable height, and S wall, 3.3m high, containing 2 small windows. W wall has been removed and replaced with an iron railing with a gate in its centre giving access to central area of chapel, which is used as a burial ground. Gravestones have been built into the inside face of both N and S walls, and there are also several in the central area. The remaining walls are all 1m wide, and the area enclosed by these measures 10m E-W by 6.2m transversely.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 17 March 1966.

Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Roofless, redundant church set within hexagonal boundary walls near Old Allangrange House. The church has subsequently been used as a burial enclosure for the Fraser-Mackenzies of Allangrange. The boundary walls enclose the site quite tightly and the ground between the church and walls is quite high compared to the surrounding land, although there are no obvious grave markers in this area. <2> <3>

It was proposed that the old church and burial ground be removed from the statutory list in September 2016 as part of a Historic Environment Scotland project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though they would remain a scheduled monument. <4>

The chapel and burial ground were removed from the statutory list by Historic Environment Scotland on 22/09/2016. <5>


ISSFC, 1888, 'Hut circles in the Black Isle - Castle of Kilcoy. {including the history of Redcastle}', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.236-43, 237 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG912.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 18, No. 108 (Text/Report). SHG2675.


<1> MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


<2> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.


<3> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.


<4> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Assessment for Dual designations Project: Allangrange ruined Chapel and private burial of Fraser Mackenzies of Allangrange (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27477.


<5> Jackson, L., 2016, Notification of de-listing of ecclesiastical sites: Dual Designations Project (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27480.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6252 5150 (26m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH65SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.