MHG7617 - Broch, Allt Dail A' Bhraid
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Recorded in survey by Dr Thomas C. Welsh, Sept. 1998.
See assoc. docs.
NH29SW 10 2136 9494.
In angle of modern fence, on N bank of Allt Dail a' Bhraid at base of debris fan from waterfall, and in a low lying situation between steep hillside and lateral moraine, foundations of a possible solid-based broch with outwork. The broch has an internal diameter of 8m with a wall thickness of around 6m. On NE arc are indications of foundation of mural gallery and possible entrance on E. Also on NE is a substantial outwork with substructures. A building foundation overlies wall on SW, 8m by 9m. A 4m thick wall overlies broch wall flush with inside on E to outside on S so that later enclosure appears pear-shaped. Traces of an enclosure extend 25m W, and there are traces of a concentric outwork close to broch wall on S and W.
T C Welsh 1992.
See assoc. docs. File for SMR NH80NE0045.
J Aitken : 22/02/01.
NH29 1 ALLT DAIL a' BHRAID
This probable broch in Lochbroom, Ross and Cromarty, stands on the bank of a stream and consists of traces of a circular building with an internal diameter of 8m and a wall thickness of about 6m. There are traces of a mural gallery on the north-east and the entrance seems to be on the east side. There are signs of an outer defensive bank on the south and west, close to the broch.
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NH 29 SW 10: 2. T Welsh in Discovery and Excavation in Scotland, 1992, 46. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Welsh, T C. 1992. 'Allt Dail a' Bhraid (Lochbroom parish): broch, later building and enclosures', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.46. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 46. 46.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welsh, Dr TC. 09/1998. The Invisible Site Finder: A personal view of the role of interpretive survey in archaeology, based on thirty years experience as an independent site-finder, and a comment on the low visibility imposed by restricted access to publication. Unaffiliated. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NH29 1 ALLT DAIL a' BHRAID.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2135 9494 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/80882 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.