MHG7676 - Applecross - 'Earth House' (unlocated)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SOUTERRAIN? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NG74SW 6 unlocated.
An earth-house "of considerable length, 4' wide and 4' deep" existed in 1792 near a "dun" - Broch: NG74SW 2 - in the district of Applecross, part of the parish of Applecross.
OSA (Rev J MacQueen) 1792.
Not located. Visited by OS (R D) 28 April 1965.
No further information. Visited by OS (A A) 29 May 1974.
On a site visit to the broch at Applecross by John Wood 13/10/00, the son of the caravan site owner there indicated a place below the broch site which was 'hollow'. He was unaware of the record of a souterrain. <1>
Excavations at the broch between 2005 and 2008 encountered a possible souterrain which probably relates to the pre-broch phase and may correspond with this site. <2>
An evaluation report produced by Wessex Archaeology following the 2005 Time Team excavations places this possible souterrain c.150m north-west of the broch. It is said to exist as a hollow with its western boundary formed by a ruinous and wooded field wall. <3>
It is possible that McQueen's reference is actually to a feature investigated in Trench 9 in excavations in 2009. This alignment of 6 recumbent slabs, which possibly extended outside the limits of excavation, appeared to be another sub-broch passage or drain. <4>
- --- SHG2606 Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 3, 378-9.
- --- SHG6867 Image/Photograph(s): © Pete Diamond, Dartmouth. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG6868 Image/Photograph(s): © Pete Diamond, Dartmouth. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG6869 Image/Photograph(s): © Pete Diamond, Dartmouth. Digital Image. .
- <1> SHG23680 Verbal Communication: Wood, J. Comments by John Wood, Senior HC Archaeologist.
- <2> SHG24224 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M and McCullagh, C. 2008. Applecross Broch Community Archaeology Project: Interim Report no. 3, Rev. 1. Applecross Archaeology Society. Digital.
- <3> SHG22440 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Gibson, C. 2006. Time Team 2005: Applecross Broch, Wester Ross, Highlands - Archaeological Evaluation and Assessment of the Results. Wessex Archaeology. 02/06/2006. . p 2.
- <4> SHG24921 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M and McCullagh, C. 2010. Applecross Broch Community Archaeology Project: Excavation Summary and Preliminary Finds Discussion. Applecross Archaeology Society. Digital. Trench 9.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7000 4000 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11747 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.