MHG7678 - Applecross Sanctuary Cross, Camusterrach
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BOUNDARY CROSS (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
One of the Applecross sanctuary crosses/stones, a "rude monolith 8 ft. 3 ins. high and bearing traces of a cross on its W. face", (T Muir 1855) stood on the dun at Camusterach but it was destroyed by a stone mason repairing the Free Church (now the Church of Scotland) c. 1870. The stump survives at NG 7096 4160 (Information from K Macrae, Blind Institute, Inverness) amongst the outbuildings of a croft, and measures 0.4m high, 0.6m wide and 0.3m thick.
Surveyed at 1/2500. No trace of a dun was found.
Visited by OS (R D) 29 April 1965; T Muir 1855; W J Watson 1904 and 1926; S Gordon 1935.
See MHG11426 for the Dun.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gordon, S. 1935. Highways and Byways in the Western Highlands. 50.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1855. Notes on remains of ecclesiastical architecture and sculptured memorials in the southern division of Scotland. 32.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. lxvi.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 125.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7096 4159 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11745 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.