MHG7693 - Doune township
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NG84SW 3 centred on 835 405
In area centred at NG 835 405, around and below probable site of a dun (q.v. NG84SW 2), there are about 6 ruined houses with yards and enclosures. There is also an extensive area of formerly cultivated land with stone clearance heaps.
This is almost certainly Doune, evidently a township near Courthill House mentioned in 1495 and 1633. (W J Watson 1904)
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 April 1965; W J Watson 1904 <1>
A township comprising three roofed buildings, one partially roofed building, two unroofed buildings and two enclosures is depicted on the first edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1880, sheet cx). Four unroofed buildings and three enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 6 May 1996
The township described above by RCAHMS may in fact be Achavanie which is depicted as described on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8361 4055 (639m by 531m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11922 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.