MHG7857 - Cist with Beaker - Achnasheen, Gairloch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NH15NE 1 1738 5883.
A stone cist (apparently a short cist) containing a beaker burial was found, late in July 1959, during road straightening works on the Garve to Achnasheen road through a natural morainic hillock. It was largely destroyed before it was recognised. There were no remains of the body and only a piece of charcoal was found with the decorated beaker, by W G Bannerman, County Road Surveyor. The beaker was donated to the Nat. Mus. Ant. Scot - EG 98. Although the breaks in the beaker were fresh only around two-thirds of the object was found. <1> <2>
The find-spot was indicated on the ground by Mr. J. Gallagher, (Lochroque, Achnasheen, Ross and Cromarty) at NH 17385883.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 26 October 1966
This findspot was noted in ARCH's 2010-2012 Heritage Along the Kyle Line project. A photograph depicting the fragments in 2012 was supplied.<3>
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EG 98.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Henshall and Longworth, A S and I H. 1966. 'Three beakers from Wester Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.245-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 245-9. 247; illust..
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1964. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 95 1961-2, p.311-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 311-18. 311.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 19.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1737 5883 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12096 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.