MHG7943 - Lochcarron Kirkton (Old Church)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
See also: NG94SW0032 Graveyard
J Aitken : 12/12/02
NG94SW 2 9140 4123.
Church (NAT) (Ruins of) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
The ruins of parish church erected 1751 and abandoned c 1845 when modern church was built.
The church of Lochcarron was dedicated to St. Maelrubha and girth or sanctuary was known as 'Chombrich Mulroy' - the girth of Maelrubha, but the exact site of this early church is not known. (For possible alternative site for St Maelrubha's Church see NG94SE1)
Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1926; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
The walls of this 18th century church still stand to roof height with exception of N side wall which has been entirely removed taking with it part of the gables. No further info was obtained regarding St.Maelrubha's Church.
Visited by OS (W D J) 19 October 1966.
Proposals to remove ivy from ruin - reminder via John Duncan that is SAM - HAW 10/2003
Church building in ruinous state and marked as dangerous. Front wall is intact, although the window splays etc ar now secured with wooden props. The back wall is gone (see photos). The western end in particular is ivy clad. This looks like a different phase extension. The church lies longways across rising ground with graveyard on lower slopes - HAW 2/2004
- --- SHG2918 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 288, 338.
- --- SHG3355 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 24, 32.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 398.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9139 4123 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM8867 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12036 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.