MHG7948 - Bronze Age Flanged Axe - Loch Dhugaill, Locharron
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
GR more likely to be closer to that given above - as it lies on the S shore (as opposed to N given) - HAW 05/2005
NG94NE 1 99 47.
Flanged bronze axe, measuring 3 7/8 inches in length, 1,25 inch in breadth across the cutting edge, and 1 7/8 inch across the flanges, found on S shore, near eastern end of Loch Dhugaill, Auchnashellach, Ross-shire, in July 1925.
This was donated to NMAS by F D Stewart Sandeman, The Law, Kingennie, Forfarshire. (DC 110)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1926. <1>
No further information Visited by OS (W D J) 21 October 1966. <2>
(Unclassified flanged axe). Single find. Flanged axe, corroded, green; length 100mm, butt 24mm, cutting edge 32mm, weight 175 gms. NMAS DC 110.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981. <3>
This findspot was noted during ARCH's 2010-2012 Heritage Along the Kyle Line project. Two photographs depicting the axehead in 2012 were supplied. <4>
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DC 110.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1926. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 60 1925-6, p.10-26, 95-104, 149-55, 215-18, 254-6, 300-4. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 10-26, 95-104, 149-55, 21. 96.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 138.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 112, no. 732.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 20.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9930 4657 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/heritage-along-the-kyle-line.asp (Link to ARCH project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12031 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.