MHG8208 - Chambered Cairn, Easter Brae
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH66SE 4 6615 6281.
Long Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This long cairn, composed of large stones, has been severely robbed and is surrounded and mutilated by foundations of old crofts. The cairn, oriented ENE-WSW, is c230' long and 40'-50' wide, although its exact extent is difficult to determine. Its rectangular Orkney-Cromarty type chamber is partly exposed at W end of cairn; and two large slabs and a small earthfast stone at E end suggest that there may have been a second chamber.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 9 July 1956.
A whin-covered, chambered long cairn as described by Henshall. Insufficient evidence to support second chamber theory.
Resurveyed at 1/2500 Visited by OS (N K B) 27 January 1966.
No change. Surveyed at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (JB) 11 1 1978.
Mid Brue, Long Cairn (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8056.
Mid Brue, Long Cairn, Black Isle (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8059.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG8049.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 352, ROS 31; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 8, No. 9 (Text/Report). SHG2675.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 352, ROS 31; plan.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Mid Brue, Long Cairn. Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Mid Brue, Long Cairn, Black Isle. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6614 6281 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2457 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2457 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13690 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.