MHG8385 - Hut circle - Shieldaig
A hut circle near Shieldaig.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle near Shieldaig.
NG8061 7237: Shieldaig 1: A hut circle is situated at an elevation of 20m on level ground at the foot of the hillside about 200m to the south of Shieldaig Lodge Hotel. It is 50m to the west of Allt a' Mhuillin just outside the park fence. Birches and oaks grow round about. The Hut circle Shieldaig 2 lies some 50m up the hillside to the northwest. The diameter of the circle is 12m x 11m (mid wall) the entrance is not visible. The ambient vegetation is fine grass, moss and bracken both inside and outside the circle. Not shown on OS maps. <1>
The hut circle was visited by C Dagg during a walkover survey in 2008 prior to a proposed water main renewal scheme. This hut circle is located on a platform on the NE side of the ridge above the farm, immediately NE of the rubble dyke. There is no obvious cultivable ground on the ridge and the site is relatively inaccessible from the fields to the NE. Rising ground and woodland prevent any direct line of site to Glac Shieldaig and the pipeline route. <2>
180581 872370 Shieldaig 1 (RW1) AMC128: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. The circular stone structure is in poor condition. It is situated in a level sheltered position at the foot of a steep SW facing slope, in sparse woodland. The stones are covered in moss and bracken. The walls have been robbed to build later structures inside, (see sketch). Field boundaries adjacent to the HC are up to 0.6m high, so may be contemporary and subsequently rebuilt. Average inner diameter is 10.6m, outer diameter is 12.6m. Double skinned wall thickness is 1.2m with maximum height 1m, and some facing stones visible. The entrance could not be located. AMC128 may be associated with AMC129 (see MHG6334) (100m distant upslope) and AMC134 (see MHG8296) (200m distant). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
Spatial data amended to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <5>
Renumbered from NG87SW0007B (Jhooper, 29/8/2002)
- <1> SHG1578 Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4. 34.
- <2> SHG2756 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C.. 2008. Shieldaig Water Main Renewal: Walk-over survey. Catherine Dagg. . Site 4.
- <3> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AMC128.
- <4> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AMC128.
- <5> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8059 7237 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.