MHG8472 - Balnabruach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH98SW 5 9088 8404.
Chapel (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907).
The site of a chapel, of which no remains are discernible, lies at Balnabruaich, a continuation of village of Portmahomack, 50 yards inland on the shore-level from the village street.
J M Davidson 1948.
No trace of chapel. Mr Duff (Info from Mr Duff, Balnabruach, Portmahomack) stated that a human skull was ploughed up in its vicinity a few years ago, but has no other information.
Visited by OS (AA) 20 September 1972.
In November 1992, a watching brief was carried out at this site by GUARD during ground-preparation for a pumping station at Balnabruaich, near Portmahomack, and in area of reported chapel site. Although a number of linear features were observed in sand sub-soil, none was of any antiquity.Mr Duff reported that skull had been found further to E than site of pumping station. The results of the watching brief were therfore negative.
Sponsor: Highland Regional Council Water and Sewage.
I Banks 1993.
NB when water pipes were laid to the pumpimg station burials were found (see NH98SW0028). The lower one was in a cist, another above this was laid out and D Lowe (excavator) suggested that this could possibly be Christian, if so this could be marker for the cemetery (ie extending N of the current road) - HAW 5/2003
Davidson, J M, 1948, 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33, p 27 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG52.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 25, No. 206 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
Banks, I, 1993, 'Balnabruaich sewage pumping station (Tarbat parish): watching brief', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.50, 50 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG246.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Banks, I. 1993. 'Balnabruaich sewage pumping station (Tarbat parish): watching brief', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 50. 50.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 206.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 27.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9088 8404 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15665 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.