MHG8516 - Pin, Fendom Sands
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (CULTURE 800; CULTURE 1300; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
Laing (1973) provenances pin that is held under RMS accession number BK 117 as from Sliganach, Kildonan, South Uist (NF72NW 14).
However 1892 Catalogue places its discovery on Fendom Sands. The pin is of disc-headed type, with fillets below the head. The head of this example is decorated with a cross-pattern composed of punched dots; on reverse there is a circle of punched dots, and a central dot. The type is probably of Viking date.
L R Laing 1973; NMAS 1892.
Identifed as copper alloy in Sally Foster's thesis. <1>
One of 30 pins acquired by the NMS in 1891 from Hugh Miller. See MHG60225 for other finds from Fendom sands. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Laing, L R. 1973. 'People and pins in Dark Age Scotland' in Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc Vol. 50 (1973), pp 53-71. 70, No. 35.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 95.
- <1> Text/Publication: Foster, S. 1989. Aspects of the late Atlantic Iron Age (Ph.D. thesis).
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. BK 117.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8200 8200 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- PIN (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15325 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.