MHG8540 - Old Shandwick burial ground
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NB Clach a Charridh apparently means stone of the grave plots (Placenames of Wester Ross) - HA 7/2003
NH87SE 3 8556 7473.
(NH 8556 7473) Clach a Charridh (sculptured stone)
Burying Ground (Site of) (NAT) ie marked by cross
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1889)
Burial ground Shandwick was last used during cholera pestilence 1832 and was ploughed down by the tenant of farm c. 1885.
H Miller 1889.
No trace. Visited by OS (A A) 29 August 1972.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Miller, H. 1889. 'Note on fragments of two sculptured stones of Celtic Workmanship found in the churchyard of Tarbat, Easter Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 23 1888-9, p.435-44. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 435-44. 442.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 236.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8556 7473 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15277 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.