MHG8927 - Hut circle - Glac Bhan
Hut circle at Glac Bhan
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Centred at NH 540637 and set on a N-facing slope approx 25m above River Sgitheach is a settlement of three hut circles ('A' - 'C'), all obscured by peat and heather.
Hut 'A' is 10.5m E-W by 9m within a slight wall of indeterminate width. The entrance is in the E. 'B' and 'C' are circular and measure 8m and 8.5 m in diameter respectively within walls of 2.5 m average spread. The entrances, although not evident, were probably in the E sides.
With the exception of one or two possible clearance heaps there is no trace of contemporary agriculture in the area, although the ground is of a fairly stone-free nature.
Surveyed at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (J B) 16 November 1976
A group of 3 hut circles. RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978
John Wombell, a local researcher, advises that there are six, not three, hut circles at this location and evidence of a field system. A small hut c.5m internal diameter lies between A and B plus another just below, while there is a sixth hut circle c.8m internal diameter at NH 53955 63631. <1>
Hut 'A' is 10.5m E-W by 9m within a slight wall of indeterminate width.
Note; Location based on RCAHMS grid reference and adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 21, No. 174. XY
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Wombell, J. 01/2011. Email from John Wombell regarding MHG8927. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5387 6372 (26m by 26m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12922 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.