MHG8987 - Logiebride Church (Logie Wester) - Conon Bridge
Site of Logiebride Church (Logie Wester), Conon Bridge
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The church survives as a platform within the graveyard. Two unroofed buildings - a larger one which is clearly the church, with a smaller one close to its west end - are shown on a map of Logie Wester and Easter, dated 1791, at Conan House.
The burial ground, including the memorial stones and the site of the church, was surveyed by A MacInnes and Members of NoSAS in 2019. A documentary history of the church and burial ground were also produced to accompany the field survey. To survey the memorial stones, the burial ground was divided into 6 sections, A – F, and each stone’s location marked on the section plans using tape and off-set methods with each stone allocated a reference number. Using approved methods, the memorial stones were cleaned where possible, and inscriptions transcribed on to recording forms drawn up by S Farrell along with measurements of the stones, condition report and photographs. An alphabetical index of names was drawn up and using a lair plan drawn in 1903 it was possible to allocate names to some of the lairs and a list was made. <1> <2>
See MHG 60000 for Pictish cross slab discovered in the burial ground in March 2019.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 548.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan, I B. 1967. The parishes of medieval Scotland. 138.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2020. Logie Wester Burial Ground: A full record of the stones, including recording forms, photos, section plans, lair plan and index. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A. et al. 2020. Logie Wester Burial Ground and Memorial Stones. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5354 5408 (24m by 19m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12865 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.