MHG9017 - Chambered Cairn - Kilcoy South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55SE 3 5701 5160.
(NH 5701 5160) This is an Orkney-Cromarty type polygonal, short horned cairn c50 ft. across by 60 ft. long. On SE are traces of dry walling and large boulders on tips of horns, which partly define a forecourt. In the centre of this façade are two upright portal stones; from these runs passage 4 ftx 4 ft, each wall being of one upright stone with a sill between.
Next is the outer compartment, c6 ft long, each wall of one upright stone and spaces filled with dry-walling. Next, two transverse slabs, supporting a lintel, form the entry to the main, polygonal compartment, about 10ft. X 9 ft., each wall of 2 slabs supplemented with dry walling. Finally, a passage of upright stones 3 .5ft. By 2.5ft leads by a double-silled entrance to a circular cell 5 1/2 ft. across.Remains include various types of pottery sherds, a saddle quern, white quartz, and skeletal remains of burnt bones.
A A Woodham 1956; A A Woodham 1956; A S Henshall 1963.
This cairn, much mutilated, as described above, and tripartite chamber is still intact.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1965.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 3 March 1989.
NH 570 516 Partial re-excavation of Kilcoy South chambered cairn was undertaken in early August 1997. The excavation has shown that cairn is likely to have been round with a flat façade rather than, as previously thought, a horned cairn.
A report will be lodged at NMRS.
Sponsors: Ms A Henshall, Dr G Ritchie.
G MacGregor & H Loney 1997
Sitevisit : 1999, Chambered Cairn very overgrown, there are signs of a central chamber some 1.5m wide with entrance 0.6m wide facing approx. SE. Local stone, glacial deposit. Cairn is approx. 15m diam., and stands on S facing slope at an altitude of about 115m. It overlooks Beauly Firth. Another cairn of similar size stands approx. 100m away almost due N. The cairn is on the boundary between two present day arable fields and a dyke bisects it.
J Aitken : 25/01/01.
Douglas Scott submitted photographs to the HER in July 2011. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1984. ''Some early querns'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.282-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 282-9. 284.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Henshall, A. S. & Ritchie, J. N. G. 2001. The Chambered Cairns of the Central Highlands: An Inventory of the Structures and Their Contents. pp 153-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 348-9, ROS. 2; plan, 348, fig. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 86.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: MacGregor and Loney, G and H. 1997. 'Kilcoy South (Killearnan parish), chambered cairn', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.47. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 47. 47.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1956. 'Kilcoy West', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1956, p.23-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 23-4. 23-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1958. 'Kilcoy West', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1958, p.32-3. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 32-3. 32-3.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5701 5160 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SADDLE QUERN (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4650 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4650 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12834 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.