MHG9321 - Cross Incised Stone, Learable Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
NC82SE 1 8925 2349.
(NC 8925 2349) Cross-marking Stone (NR)
OS 6"map, (1962)
A cross-marked standing stone 5'2" high, 2'8" broad and 9.5" thick. It faces east-west and bears on its upper west face a plain Latin cross 6 3/4" long by 5" across the arms, the grooves being about 1" broad. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909
The stone is as described by the RCAHMS but some excavation appears to have taken place around the base.
Visited by OS (W D J) 19 May 1961
The standing stone is as described by the RCAHMS. An opened clearance heap abuts it on the NNE side.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 December 1976
This standing stone is visible in aerial photography taken 2009. <1>
Learable Hill, Sutherland, cross-incised standing stone
Measurements: H 1.58m, W 0.81m, D 0.24m
Place of discovery: NC 8925 2749
Present location: in situ.
Evidence for discovery: recorded in 1909 by RCAHMS during fieldwork for the Inventory.
Present condition: .
The west face of this standing stone is incised with an equal-armed linear cross, using broad grooves.
Date: early medieval.
References: RCAHMS 1911, no 380.
Compiled by A Ritchie 2016
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <2>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 6698.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 133, No. 380.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8925 2349 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1803 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6698 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.