MHG9470 - Hut circle, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
GR corrected to above. Now recorded separately - HAW 8/2004
NC50NE 81 571 054.
Centred at NC 571 054 on gently sloping SW facing ground are two heather-covered hut circles. The first hut, at NC 5710 0545, is 10m in diameter within a wall generally spread to 1.5m wide and 0.3m high but widening to 2.5m at the entrance in the SSE which gives the impression of being 'clubbed'. The second hut, at NC 5712 0543, survives as a platform with only the merest traces of walling visible except in the SE where the wall is spread to 2m wide and 0.5m high. Internally the hut measures about 11m in diameter. The position of the entrance is not apparent. The surrounding ground is smooth and stone-free with a small amount of stone clearance near the second hut. No plots are visible. Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J B) 14 March 1979.
The second hut was noted during topographic survey during Spring 2010, generally as described in 1979. Described as poorly preserved. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA8.2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5712 0542 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5057 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.