MHG9517 - Stone Circle, Learable Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
NC82SE 4 8916 2351.
(NC 8916 2351) Stone Circle (NR) OS 6"map, (1962)
The remains of a stone circle formed of slabs of schistose rock, 2' in maximum height and varying from about 1'5" to 2'5" in breadth. Five of the stones are in situ, standing well above ground, two have almost sunk out of sight and two have fallen.The diameter of the circle appears to have been about 60'. Slightly to the south of the centre of the circle is a small mound, about 2' high and with a diameter of some 13'. Just outside the circle, beyond a stone ESE of the centre is another mound about 3' high and 17' in diameter.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909
The stone circle is as described. The two mounds are heather-covered and have the general appearance of clearance heaps but the proximity to cairns and other Bronze Age features (NC 82 SE 6, 9) suggests that they could be burial cairns.
Visited by OS (W D J) 29 May 1961
The stone circle is as described. The two mounds described do not differ in appearance from clearance heaps in the area, which in places overlie the adjacent Bronze Age Stone Rows (NC 82 SE 6).
Visited by OS (J B) 20 January 1977
This elliptical stone circle lies on level ground some 90m WNW of the standing stone (NC82SE 1), which occupies the brow of the SE spur of Learable Hill, in an area much encumbered by small cairns (NC82SE 16); it measures 20m from NE to SW by 17.5m transversely. Seven upright stones were located, none above 0.5m in height, and there was at least one recumbent stone, which may have been part of the circle. A small cairn occupies the centre of the circle.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 June 1991.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 130, No. 374; Fig 50.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1993. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. .
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8916 2350 (25m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1803 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6716 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.