MHG9608 - Learable Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- HUT (Undated)
NC82SE 3 8949 2403.
(NC 8949 2403) Enclosure (NR)
OS 6"map, (1962)
The remains of a circular enclosure, alleged to have been a broch (J Anderson 1873 and H Morrison 1883) but so much robbed and overgrown that its true character is indefinite. It measures 78' in diameter over a wall which seems to have been about 19' thick with an entrance in the SE.
The remains of a circular enclosure 15.2m in diameter. It is mutilated and overgrown with heather but it is not a broch as suggested above. It consists of an earth and stone bank 6m broad and 0.6m high with an entrance in the SE. In the interior is a small hut 8m by 6.5m, joining the enclosure on either side of its entrance, and between the west side of the hut and the enclosure bank is a mutilated scooped area.
Visited by OS (W D J) 29 May 1961
This enclosure is sub-oval in plan, measuring internally about 15.0m SW-NE by 12.5m. It has been built up on the NE side giving an exterior height of 2.2m. It is impossible to define the exact nature of the internal features due to a thick bracken cover, and the certainty that quarrying has occurred to provide material for the adjacent township wall of Learable. An old, wasted field wall lying close by to the north is possibly contemporary with the enclosure.
Revised at 1:10,000
Visited by OS (JB) 23 December 1976
There is a large stony mound, some 20m in diameter and 2m in height on the downslope side immediately N of the head-dyke of Learable township (NC82SE 20) on sloping ground. The centre of it has been robbed, leaving what appear to be three compartments, but they do not make any coherent sense as a structure. A stony bank runs away from NE side (NC82SE 20.10).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 June 1991.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1873. ''Notice of the excavation of the brochs of Yarhouse, Brounaben, Bowermadden, Old Stirkake, and Dunbeath in Caithness; with remarks on the period of the brochs, and an appendix, containing a collected list of the brochs of Scotland, and early notices of m. Archaeol Scot. 131-98. 188.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 41.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cowley, D.C., Dixon, P.J. and Ritchie, J.N.G.. 1993. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. RCAHMS. . Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8948 2402 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6715 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.