MHG9796 - Cists - Kintradwell Links
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC90NW 12 9300 0795.
Cists found AD 1850 - 1870 (NAT). OS 6"map, (1964)
Many short cists have been found close to Cinn Trolla Broch (NC90NW 5). About 100 yards from it three short cists were found (about 1865) containing fragments of bone.
In one was found a bone needle and in another a shale nodule; close by was found a flint flake. Immediately under the centre one of the three cists was found a cist, 5ft 5ins long, containing an extended adult skeleton but no relics.
A skull and the shale nodule were presented to the NMAS.
J Y Simpson 1865; L Tait 1870.
A short distance W of the ruin of Wilkhouse several cists were found at different times between 1850 and 1870. Many of them contained human bones. Name Book 1873.
In Dunrobin Castle Museum are a bone needle and flint scraper "from a cist containing a skeleton found near "Beach Fort" (Broch), Kintradwell, 1865.
Visited by OS (W D J) 3 April 1962.
Acc Nos 1865.1 and 2
Info from TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum, by A S Henshall.
The shale nodule is described in the NMS catalogue as a worked fragment of cannel coal or shale with two irregular, broken edges and on curved, possibly artificially chaped, edge. Listed under Acc. No. 2015.89. <1>
The bone needle and scraper were catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. 1865.1 and 1865.2. They are on display in case 28, shelf C. <2>
- --- SHG162 Text/Publication/Article: Simpson, J Y. 1865. 'An account of two barrows at Spottiswood, Berwickshire, opened by Lady John Scott', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 5 1862-4, p.222-4. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 222-4. 243.
- --- SHG546 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1870. 'Donations to and purchaese for the Museum and Library, and exhibits in the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.7-10,36-56,105-10,137-9,198-200,220-1,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-10,36-56,105-10,137-9,1. 478.
- --- SHG84 Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Account of cists opened at Kintradwell, Sutherlandshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.512-15. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 512-15. 512-16.
- <1> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 2015.89.
- <2> SHG28514 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. 1865.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9300 0794 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- NEEDLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- WORKED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6941 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.