MHG9924 - Sanctuary Boundary Stone, Crois
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BOUNDARY CROSS (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
OS 6"map, (1963)
'Crois' is the name given to a projecting rock which is said to have borne an incised cross on its SW face, and to have marked the northern boundary of the sanctuary of Kildonan (NC 92 SW 18). The cross had weathered away by 1909 and no trace of it can now be found.
Visited by OS (W D J) 3 June 1961; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A B Scott 1906
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1906. 'S Donnan the Great and his Muinntir', Trans Scot Eccles Soc Vol. 1 1905-6, p.256-67. Trans Scot Eccles Soc. 256-67. 261-3.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 132, No. 376.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9010 2343 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7180 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.