MHG9926 - Stone Ball, Kildonan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
- None recorded
A plain stone ball dug from the auriferous drift during the gold working at Kildonan (NC 910209) in 1869 was presented to the NMAS in 1877 by Launder Lindsay MD, Gilgal, Perth. The ball is of dark claystone, 3" in diameter and the surface does not appear to have been smoothed, and with grains of gold still adhering to it. (Acc. No: AS 1)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1878; NMAS catalogue 1892
No further information was found regarding this stone ball.
Visited by OS (W D J) 2 June 1961
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 62.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1878. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 12 1876-8, p.11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,183-85,207-15,258-77,374-404,567-71,598-603,613. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-12,58-63,88-91,118-21,. 89.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9100 2090 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- STONE BALL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-689-C& (Link to online NMS collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7182 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.