MHG2864 - Moy Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH73NE0037 Watch House
See Report Library No. 1004 & 1005, Moy Memorial Survey in 2 parts. S Farrell, 1997.
J Aitken : 28/10/02.
NH73SE 6 7719 3420.
(NH 7719 3420) Church (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Moy church was built in 1765 probably on the site of a pre-Reformation structure.
R Macdougall 1894.
No further information.
Visited by OS (N K B) 9 November 1966.
A survey of graveyard monuments was carried out at Moy churchyard by S Farrell.
S Farrell 1997 MS/997/5.
An evaluation survey was undertaken of the cemeteries and burial grounds in the Inverness and Nairn areas, including the archaeological, historical and environmental standing of the sites and the monuments contained therein. A note was made of the date, variety, condition and management of those monuments.
The study of the environmental factors involved in the survey was developed in conjunction with the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
Moy Church (Moy & Dalarossie parish)
NH 7719 3420 159 memorials recorded.
Reports lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: CBA Challenge Funding, Highland Council, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Inverness Area Countryside Project, Leader II.
S Farrell 1997
REFERENCE: Scottish Record Office
Repair of the Kirk of Moy.
Estimates amounting to ?63.5.4 from Mason and Carpenter followed by the division of the sum among the Heritors.
1792 GD 128/19/5/15
The Parish of Moy, Dalarossie & Tomatin Submission to Inverness Presbytery put forward arguments for keeping Moy Church as a Necessary Building. Mr Colin Munro of Messrs Thomas Munro & Col, Architects carried out a building survey in 1993, and advised that the rafters of the church are very old and probably date to 1680-1700, pre-dating the present church which was built in 1765. The timber is adzed and each rafter is numbered in Roman numerals.
Information from Vivian Roden <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macdougall, R. 1894. 'Strathdearn - some church notes', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 19 1893-4, p.49-50. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 49-50. 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Strathdearn. Yes. Digital. Site 9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7719 3420 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14891 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14140 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.