MHG51353 - Wreck of "Strome Castle" ferry, Strome
The current location of the wreck of the "Strome Castle", the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry.
Type and Period (1)
- WRECK (In use, 20th Century - 1958 AD to 1970 AD)
- None recorded
The current location of the "Strome Castle", which was built by Nobles of Fraserburgh in 1958 and is 9m long x 3m wide. She was the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry, ceasing in 1970 when the road by-pass was opened. This information was submitted by a local researcher, Paul Swan, together with photographs. It is not known when the wreck was moved to this location. <1><2>
<1> Swan, P, 2008-9, Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area (Text/Correspondence). SHG23871.
<2> Swan, P, 2008, "Strome Castle" ferry - Drochaid Isaaic (Text/Manuscript). SHG23394.
|Grid reference||NG 8806 3714 (point) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.