MHG7060 - Hoard, Woodend
Bronze Age hoard
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A MBA hoard consisting of a fragment of a looped and socketed spearhead, a socketed hammer and an anvil all of bronze, was found about 1945 by a Canadian soldier, on the edge of Inshoch Wood (NH 955 580) near Woodend (NH 9465 5774), and was donated to Inverness Museum. It is dated to the Glentrool phase, from 1100 BC, and may be part of a founder's hoard and tools. There are casts of the hammer and anvil in NMAS.
V G Childe 1948; J M Coles 1966; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1946
No further information.
Visited by OS (RL) 11 December 1970
Information from ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn:
Also known as the Inshoch Wood Hoard <1>
This hoard was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. The find circumstances are not known and the spearhead was donated in 1928. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 154.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2012. 'The Early and Middle Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 5. Volume 5. 77 (285).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2015. 'The Late Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 7. Volume 5. 77 (285).
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1948. 'A bronze worker's anvil and other tools recently acquired by the Inverness Museum, with a note on another Scottish anvil', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 8-11. pp. 8-11, fig. 1, pl. 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1946. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 79 1944-5, p.175-84. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 175-84. 180.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 8.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 77, 80-1, H6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9465 5774 (4m by 4m)|
- HOARD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HAMMER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- ANVIL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15542 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-597-561-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.