MHG8021 - Contullich Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
NH67SW 11 636 704.
Contullich Castle (NR) (Site of) Human Remains found (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
There was fortalice at Contullich, probably dating from 11th century. It belonged to Andrew Dubh Munro.
R Bain 1899.
'The Site of an ancient Castle situated on W side of Contullich farm-house. It was taken down AD1826 and the stones used for building farm-house and steading. Human remains were found here inside the walls.
Name Book 1874.
No further information was found regarding site of Castle, there is no evidence to be seen on ground. Mr Munro of Contullich, recalls coming across some wall foundations while digging drains on SW side of present farm-house.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.
Part of a 17th-century door- or window-pediment bearing monogram initials was found during reconstruction of the adjacent farmsteading c1974.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 2, 58 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3350.
Bain, R, 1899, History of the ancient province of Ross, 15 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1941.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 29, No. 254 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, R. 1899. History of the ancient province of Ross. 15.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 29, No. 254.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6367 7048 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- Carved Stone (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13774 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.