MHG11554 - Farmstead, Creagan Mor
A late 18th or early 19th century farmstead built during the improvement of Kintradwell Farm.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1772 AD to 1820 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
NC90NW 31 916 082.
Centred at NC 916 082: Footings of two rectangular buildings were recorded at the W edge of this area, one of which had already been plotted by the OS.
That to the W was largely grass-covered and measured c.18m long by c.5.8m wide across its walls, which were spread to c.1m and stood less than 0.3m high. There was no obvious entrance, but there was an internal division at its E end creating an area c.4m square within the walls.
That immediately to E was buried under a large clump of gorse. It measures c.11.5m long by 5m wide across its walls, which were spread to c.0.8m and stood c.0.3m high. No entrance could be seen because of the gorse, but there was an internal division at its E end creating an area c.2.5m by 3.2m within the walls.
This latter structure abutted a low enclosure wall, which defined an area to the S and E of these structures. The wall was partly grass-covered, spread to c.1.5m wide and stood c.0.3m high.
Within the E half of the enclosure was another rectangular structure. Its low stone walls, spread to c.0.75m and c.0.2m high, defined an area c.11m long and c.5.5m wide. The W side of the structure survived to c.0.4m in height and was abutted by a grass-covered corn-drying kiln. Its circular kiln was c.1m in diameter, internally, with a straight flue c.3m long and 0.6m wide. The remains of a low irregular wall ran W-wards from this structure.
Across the hill slope above the farmstead are a few small cairns, generally about 3m in diameter and 0.3m in height.
J Harden 1991; NMRS MS/626/6. <1>
This site is described in a report on a field survey by Headland Archaeology Ltd in 1999. Careful inspection of the area revealed only a few small cairns no more than 40m from the north side of the enclosure. The extent of the cairns was surveyed and is depicted on a site plan in the report. Records show that the farmstead was built between 1772 and 1820 and probably shortly before 1820, during the improvement of Kintradwell farm. It was abandoned before the Ordnance Survey 1st edition survey of 1872. <2>
- --- SHG21146 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Harden J. 1991. Archaeological Field Survey of area to be afforested for Mr Carruthers at Kintradwell NC 9208 Sutherland. 30/07/1991. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> SHG1004 Text/Publication/Article: Harden, J. 1991. 'Kintradwell (Loth parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.48. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 48. 48.
- <1> SHG21174 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Carter, S and Rideout, J. 03/1999. Forestry Survey: Kintradwell, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 03/03/1999. . Site 1, Figure 2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 91606 08201 (184m by 160m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75133 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.