MHG11831 - Former Ticket Office and Waiting Room at Dornoch Station
Former ticket office and waiting room for Dornoch Light Railway station. Built 1902. Now a commercial premises.
Type and Period (3)
- WAITING ROOM (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- TAKE-AWAY (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1960 AD? to 2007 AD (between))
- BOOKING OFFICE (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- None recorded
(Location cited as NH 798 900). Dornoch Station, built 1902 for the Dornoch Light Rly <1>.
The terminus of the Dornoch branch of the (former) Highland Rly (originally the Dornoch Light Rly). It was opened by the latter company on 2 June 1902 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 13 June 1960 <2>.
Station building stands adj to the road. Wooden, painted pale yellow, Photo - HAW 11/2002
The former station is a simple timber building with piended roof <3>.
This station building was orignially built as a ticket office and waiting room. It is currently used as a chiropractors and is now painted white (previously painted red). The station platform is grassed over and landscaped but still visible. The yard formerly housing the engine sheds now contains a small light industrial estate <4>.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 86.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 312-13.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 81.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original). 35.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7984 8992 (12m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14630 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.