MHG52570 - Former Dornoch Light Railway Station
Site of Dornoch Light Railway Station. Only the ticket office/waiting room and platform remain.
Type and Period (4)
- RAILWAY STATION (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- RAILWAY SIDING (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- GOODS SHED (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- ENGINE SHED (In use, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1960 AD (between))
- None recorded
Site of the Dornoch Light Railway station. The station was the terminus for the branch line that linked Dornoch with the Highland Railway (which linked Inverness with Wick and Thurso) at The Mound junction. The railway opened in 1902 and closed in 1960. The station orginally comprised three timber engine and goods sheds and a number of other wooden stores, presumably housing water and fuel. The ticket office/waiting room is the only station building that still survives (see MHG11831). It is fronted (to the west) by a long platform which, although grassed over and landscaped survives in reasonable condition <1>. The station and buildings are clearly marked on the 2nd edition 25" OS map c.1905 <2>.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7984 8997 (129m by 171m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.