MHG13587 - Cairns, Latheronwheel
Two possible burial or clearance cairns.
Type and Period (3)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- (Former Type) CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Neolithic to 19th Century - 4000 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- SHORT CIST? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
In the Caithness Coastal Survey 1982 this site consists of two features:
a) a very large slab set at approx 45 degrees above another, supported by two smaller stones. Surrounded by a series of large boulders set into the ground, roughly circular distribution around the central stone feature. Dimensions 8 x 6.5m.
b) a low sub-rectangular mound with possible traces of kerbing of large boulders on south side, to the north east of a). Dimensions 18 x 9m.
Grid reference ND 1868 3236. <1>
Hilary White visited this site in 2002 and 2003 and comments that the OS description under the general Canmore record does not reflect the importance of this general area. This particular grid reference appears to refer to clearance cairns towards the northern part of the field. One large clearance cairn is visible from the road (prob further south than the GR given) as a dump down the slope edge, although the landowner states that at least part of this was made by local workers within living memory. During a site visit in August 2003 (photo) another clearance cairn was noted at this GR. <2>
The grid reference given by Batey in <1> appears to be incorrect. As stated in <2> it appears to be referring to clearance cairns rather than the features described. A feature matching the description in <1> was identified during a watching brief in 2011. It was encountered at ND 1867 3229 during the cutting of a shelter area within a large area of dense gorse scrub. <3>
The grid reference given in <3> accords more closely with the site plan in <1> and this record has therefore been amended accordingly. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 264.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humphreys, P. 01/2012. Shore Park, Latheronwheel, Caithness: Gorse Clearance - Watching Brief Report. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. Feature 7, p 15.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 07/02/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1866 3229 (40m by 40m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.