MHG1359 - Dovecot, Dale House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
See also ND15SW 16 Westerdale, Dale House
The dovecot and gardens are depicted on 1st ed OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet xxii). The dovecot and the garden enclosure are shown on current edition of OS 1:10,560 (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 11 March 1996
Dovecot. Diameter: 5m. Ruined beehive-shaped dovecot built near walled garden, Dale House, its entrance now blocked.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
No change Visited by OS (J M) 12 November 1981
Dovecot (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
This dovecot, in fairly good condition, is of type generally ascribed to 16th century.
Visited by OS (E G C) 14 April 1962.
A ruinous beehive dovecot stands at end of abandoned garden to S of Dale House. Built in four stages, it stands some 17ft 6ins high while its overall diameter at base is 16ft. The interior is lined with stone nests and pigeons have access through an aperture at top. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 41, No. 145 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Beaton, E, 1976, 'Notes on three Caithness Doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 1976, p.110-11, 110 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1229.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1976. 'Notes on three Caithness Doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 1976, p.110-11. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 110-11. 110.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 41, No. 145.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1295 5211 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7794 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7794 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8357 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.