MHG16575 - Old Fodderty Burial Ground
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1058 AD to 2100 AD)
The modern cemetery at Fodderty encloses site of old graveyard and chapel (NH55NW0013) the latter abandoned inlatter part of C18. The original graveyard, an irregular rectangle, lies at an angle to modern road system, in NE section of current cemetery (see 1st ed OS maps) . It is a substantial mound, terraced on N side and sheer drop in parts to road on E, but terraced elsewhere, with a triangular area of rough ground with trees. Some of these are substantial standards others have been coppiced. Site visit 02/2005 due to falling of trees and imminent danger of wall collapse along this side. Photos.
The original mound area of church is now covered with graves and monuments from 19th century. But some of the larger tomb areas have been reduced to foundations. The cemetery has been extended on a number of occasions to S and then to W (with the most westerly portion most modern). The gate to the cemetery is the war memorial for the area - NH55NW0213 - and is listed - HAW 02/2005
Photos by A. Cowling.
A M Fox, Highland Council, 13.09.01
Excavation of grave in W portion of the graveyard (northern end) gave a chance to examine below ground deposits. V fine sand to depth of the grave ie 5.9'. Had to be shored for safety through full depth - HAW 05/2005
Rural, multi-period graveyard extended several times. There is no redundant or in use church. The oldest part of the graveyard is on raised ground and is surrounded by stone rubble walls. The gravestones face east in this part. The ground here is also uneven indicating layers of burials. The gravestones include slabs, table tops, and uprights. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <1><2>
This cemetery is depicted on a military map c.1746 labelled as "Burial Place". A portion of the map is reproduced on the website for Rose Cottage Holidays (see link below). <3>
The site lies at the end of a "coffin road" from Knockfarrel. This is one of the historic routes being investigated as part of the "Roads Through Ross" project. <4>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Manson, C W. Web page for Rose Cottage Holidays.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Cait McCullagh, 12/04/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5124 5929 (168m by 209m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://mansonfodderty.co.uk/ (Rose Cottage Holidays web page)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7829 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/110961 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER Facebook page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.