MHG25250 - Pier and Fishing Stations, Portnancon
Early C19 pier and fishing station. The pier served the Portnancon-Heilam (Ard Neackie) ferry across Loch Eriboll.
Type and Period (1)
- PIER (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
For Portnancon township (centred NC 426 606), see NC46SW 5.00.
(Location cited as NC 427 603). Portnancon, pier, store etc. Mid 19th century. A long coursed-rubble pier with a ramp on one side, with a wood-piled extension at right-angles. There is a two-storey and attic storehouse with external stair to the first floor and the characteriestic Sutherland Estates projecting eaves. A small cottage next door is in similar style. There is also a small smoking house of wooden construction on a stone base <1>.
This pier served the Portnancon-Heilam (Ard Neakie) Ferry across Loch Eriboll. A corresponding long stone pier can be found at Heilam Ferry (Ard Neackie) <2>.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4270 6030 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85478 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.