MHG26788 - Ryvoan

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
----
NJ01SW 3 0061 1151

A farmstead, comprising two roofed buildings, one unroofed building and some lengths of field-wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet lxxiv). Two unroofed buildings, one enclosure and some field-walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 16 July 1996.

A farmstead was noted by J Wood during a 1995 DBA in advance of a woodland creation schme. In Ryvoan, there were buildings from the 18th or 19th century according to the 1858 Seafield map. <1>

A farmstead noted by C Dagg during a 2007 DBA and walkover survey in advance of a woodland creation scheme. The 1863 OS map of Ryvoan showed two roofed buildings immediately to the west of the track and what may be an unroofed third building to the east. North of the buildings was a partially enclosed area of ground adjacent to the stream, and east of the track was a larger cultivated area, enclosed to the south but irregularly edged to the northeast. A small track ran east from the farmstead towards the Allt Glais an Eich. Only one building was standing at the time of this survey, and had been heavily modified to form the present bothy. This was the more northern of the two roofed buildings recorded on the 1863 OS map but originally extended south. The low rubble footings were visible at the time of this survey. The doorway was at the back, or northeast of the building, but was more likely to have been in the southwest facing aspect in the part that has been demolished. The chimney was likely to be a late 19th century insertion, and a carving of the date 1895 in the southwest gable suggested this date for alterations. The second building, to the southwest but on the same alignment, survived only as a grassy depression. A third building, roofless in 1863, may have been represented by low grassy banks to the east of the track. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NJ 0069 1147 (284m by 244m)
Map sheet NJ01SW
Civil Parish ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (2)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.